Wednesday, October 20, 2004

"When and if" nihongo de

Watashi ga chisakatta toki nihon e ikimashita. (When I was small, I went to Japan)

In this context, toki takes the form of "when".

Watashi ga eiga o mitte iru toki nemukatta. (When I was watching the movie, I was sleepy)
Anata ga igirisu de benkyo shita toki sabishikatta ka (When you were studying in the UK, were you lonely?)

"If" in Japanese takes the form of verb + tara.

Taiko ga owattara, owarimasu. (If the drums stop, it will end)

or

Pizza o tabetara, tai e ikimasu. (If you eat pizza, I'll go to Thailand)

Kino kore o watashi no tomodachi ni naraimasu.

Moichido to Moikkai wa onaji desu.

Ja, ganbatte.


2 comments:

Elina said...

Why would you go to Thailand if I ate pizza?

lacrema said...

Aiyaaa...example only lah. Trying to strengthen my japanese sentences. The more I learn it, the more it gets interesting and fun.